Monday, June 23, 2008

A few words about the GMAT

As mentioned in my previous post, here are some learnings I'd like to share about my GMAT experience so far:

1.)    Do not rush!

a.       Do not rush to take the GMAT despite outside pressure.  You need to take it when you are ready and can walk in being confident. 

b.      Do not rush through the problems when you study.  I found myself, going through the problem and reading the explanation and simply moving on.  You need to be able to fully understand where you went wrong, figure out the pattern and thought process for tackling the problem before you even thinking about moving on the next problem.   In doing so, you will learn to recognize patterns and be to quickly hone in on what they are really asking in a question.

2.)    Learn from Tiger Woods

a.       Two Words: Mental Toughness.  I lacked in this area when I sat for the exam.  I’m a horrible test taker but GMAT and B-school won’t buy that.  You need to be mental tough to handle this exam.  In other words, go in with confidence and remain calm and confident at all times not matter how you think you are doing.  For me, I looked at the first quant problem and freaked out.  By the middle I was so sure that I was doing poorly, that I just started to give in and tried to get the math section over with as fast as possible…do not do this to yourself.  If you feel like you are losing it…take a deep breath, re-group, re-focus and move forward.   

b.      Start this when you are studying.  Try your best not to get frustrated, learn to pace yourself, and think positive.

c.       Practice, Practice, Practice.

3.)    Remember: The GMAT does not own you.  You own it!


Update: Don't get desperate and cheat becuase it is never worth it  :)



4 comments:

JulyDream said...

Great post!! Inspiring words if I do say so myself. Anyone who ever asked for advice, all I could say is know when to cut your losses. I didn't exactly walk into the test cool and collected, but I managed to pull myself together when it mattered and even surprise myself a bit. I wish you all the best!! :)

Justin Berthelot said...

Glad to see you back up and running again. You seem to have learned from previous mistakes, so next time you'll kick butt!

Anonymous said...

Hey, I've given GMAT more than once, and I too scored less than 700 in the first shot. My 2 cents - No matter what tips you get from friends or the net, you have to understand yourself the right way of taking the GMAT; AND I don't know what prep material you are using, but try to understand the questions you are going wrong on. If you feel you deserve that 7xx score, then you WILL get to it. Atb !

goneguru said...

Awesome. I'll look at this for inspiration!

The only way to get better is to review your mistakes over and over.