Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Interesting Conversation...

I had an interesting conversation with someone I know very well.  Let's call this person X (I know, how GMAT appropriate).

X is very straightforward and an intelligent person who has done well in life thus far.  X knows about my academic background, my GMAT score (remember, below national average).  This person also knows I'm gunning for a top 10/20 school. I've always had a very good feeling that X thinks I'm being a bit way too ambitious.  Well recently, X made it clear by telling me that, although I am working my butt off, given my academic performance in undergraduate school,  and my GMAT score I'm being a bit unrealistic and setting myself up for failure.  X suggested that I stop building up such high expectations and unnecessary pressure/stress and try to get admitted into into a  local school where I can realistically get into.  

On one hand this b-school journey is not only about my career growth, but also about changing for the better and proving myself that I can for once do well -  be above average compared to my old self, and work hard to get what I want. On other hand, here's someone who is very intelligent, respected, practical and obviously successful warning me to understand what I can do (or can not do). X has a good track record of being right so this  got me seriously thinking.  It's really got me questioning whether I'm just being full of it and not being true to myself. Some might see that as a sign of immaturity, but I think it's about stepping back for a minute and assessing the playing field.

At what point do you realistically say,  "Hey, this isn't for me" or "I'm probably not cut out for this"




11 comments:

matt said...

if i listened to all the advice the 'well-accomplished' people of this world gave me, i'd be screwed. :) only YOU can find out for yourself whether or not your dreams are too lofty. don't let others set you up for disappointment.

Starwalker said...

I say you say quit when you feel exhausted, have tried everything out, and are sure there's no way in hell you're gonna get it.

And i say you are at least a light year from that place. The fact that you want to make this, you are engaged in achieving it, and are willing to stick to it in spite of well-meaning detractors says something good about the whole affair. I wish you success, maybe we'll meet in some school next year

Dino said...

Hey Man. I used to be a software developer. I wanted to get into management, but no one gave me a chance. It took for my boss to get fired and his replacement to realise that I could do it. Sometimes people get used to imagining you the way you are. They don't realise that you have changed and are capable of more. Fire X and keep going. --D.

goneguru said...

No matter what he or she says, everybody loves an underdog. Your friend is laying down a challenge.
Accept the challenge and knock 'em dead.

Anonymous said...

Try. There's absolutely no way that it can be done if you don't.

Spicy Green Mango said...

You fail when YOU allow yourself to succumb to the doubts of others. So, unless you're ready to throw in the towel even before attempting an MBA, you'd be wise to surround yourself with positive X's in your life.

Journey 2BSchool said...

@ m@ - Haha - Understood. Thank you for your advise. The picture of your special moment with Kindle cracks me up every time I see it.

@starwalker - You're right - I'm not there yet and as you said - I won't stop. It would be wonderful if we meet in some school in '09! Thank you.

@d.g - thanks man! Didn't see it that way, but I see what you mean by people getting use to a certain image of the way you are which might not be an accurate reflection of what you are really like it.

@goneguru - Knock em dead - I'm sure going to keep going. Appreciate The Wall story.

@trystwithmba - good point! thank you.

@chandara - another great point! Thanks for helping me realize this. I'm not ready to throw in the towel.

You guys are crazy awesome. It would be an honor to be part of Fall 2009 admits with you all if not classmates :)


(m@ I know you don't count as Fall 2009 admits since you are already at Ross - which is one my top choices but it would be an honor anyway :P)

Jess said...

Hi there - I'm a fellow MBA applicant and also "shooting for the stars", applying for very high ranked schools. Just wanted to put in my two cents - one thing that people forget is that MBA is not the same as getting into law school, med school, etc. The people with the best scores/grades/experience, the ones who look best on paper, don't ALWAYS get it. The schools are also very big on the "fit" factor and creating a diverse and well-rounded class. SO...I say go for it. You never know - you may be just who they are looking for. And you'll never have to wonder what would have happened if you had tried.

Sorry for the epic comment. Best of luck, whatever you decide!

Oscar R. Pedroso said...

You have nothing to lose but an application fee and some time. Besides, wouldn't you rather know if you could have gotten in or not a year from now?

X will always be X I suppose, but at some point you must listen to your heart and follow that path :)

MBA prospect here with not so spectacular stats but I do have my strengths and am applying to Stanford GSB. Do I have my fellow X's, yes....do I listen....nah! :)

You're Admitted said...

When do you back down and say enough is enough? ... I would say after you apply, don't get in or get wait-listed and don't get in ... and then you re-apply the following year after making some tangible adjustments and you still don't get in. Then its time to consider other options. Barring that, take advice with a grain of salt and remember that your situation is unique.

I am a firm believer that persistence and effort will get you almost anywhere -- and I've seen it done many times over. I wouldn't get hung up on your top choice school, because truthfully b-school is a lot like everything else in life, it's what you make of it -- and along these lines, your top 5 choices are probably interchangeable in terms of their impact on your career and future professional happiness.

"HBS/Stanford/Chicago/Wharton/Kellogg or bust" is a pretty self-destructive approach. Take a hard look at yourself, identify your strengths/weaknesses, develop a strategy and identify a handful of schools where you think you'll be happy and go from there (and trust me b-school is a breeze compared to your peers at law school and med school).

Cheers,

R

www.youreadmitted.com

dealornodeal said...

I saw your blog and thought you and your readers would like to know about a free sample GMAT test offered at Manhattan GMAT.

Take care!